What is Domestic Violence?
Domestic violence is “abuse committed against an adult or fully emancipated minor who is a spouse, former spouse, cohabitant, or person with whom the suspect has had a child or is having or has had a dating or engagement relationship.”
Domestic Violence may include the following acts in an attempt to exercise power and authority over another person. The abuse may occur during or after a marital or dating relationship.
- Physical Abuse
- Verbal Abuse
- Abusing Trust
- Sexual Abuse
- Emotional Abuse
- Psychological Abuse
- Economic Control
- Threats and Intimidation
- Destruction of Property
- Does your partner have an explosive temper?
- Does he/she call you demeaning names; accuse you of cheating on him/her ?
- Isolate you from your family and friends?
- Does he/she hit, slap, or punch you? Threaten you?
- Is he/she controlling and always has to have his/her way?
- Controls the Finances?